Prudentialife is bankrupt. Should you worry?

I came across a video clip of a news several days ago reporting that Prudentialife Plan is bankrupt. My first reaction was, "Oh!". Another pre-need company went down. Fortunately for me, I knew it was a pre-need company, but for the majority who would mix and match pre-need companies with insurance companies, I don't think so.

"You mean they're different?!" Well, I'm not a mind reader but I know that's what a lot of people think. Even my husband (at first)! :)

So, to help ease the mind of my dear friends and to you who just stumbled our blog, here are some information that I have come across in my 5 years in the insurance industry.

Identifying a pre-need company to be the same as an insurance company, would be like saying that an orange is the same as an apple. YES! They are both fruits, but they are not of the same kind... The same goes with the pre-need industry and the insurance industry.

First and foremost, a list of the life insurance and pre-need companies operating in the Philippines.

LIST OF LIFE INSURANCE COMPANIES WHOSE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY WERE RELEASED FOR LICENSE YEAR 2011-2012

As of  18 January 2012

1. AsianLife Financial Assurance Corporation
(Formerly: All Asia Life Assurance Corporation -name changed effective 31 March 2003)
2. Banclife Insurance Company, Inc.
3. Beneficial Life Insurance Company, Inc.
4. BF Life Insurance Corporation
5. BPI-Philam Life Assurance Corporation (Formerly:Ayala Life Assurance, Inc.)
6. CAP Life Insurance Corporation
7. Caritas Life Insurance Corporation
8. Cooperative Insurance System of the Philippines
9. Country Bankers Life Insurance Corporation
10. First Life Financial Company, Inc. (Formerly: First Guarantee Life Assurance Co.-as of 2007 )
11. Fortune Life Insurance Company, Inc.
12. Generali Pilipinas Life Assurance Company, Inc.
13. Great Life Financial Assurance Corporation (Formerly: Nippon Life Insurance Company of the Philippines as of 2007)
14. Insular Life Assurance Company, Ltd., The
15. Manila Bankers Life Insurance Corporation
16. Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Phils.), Inc., The
17. Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Branch), The
18. Manulife Chinabank Life Assurance Corporation (Formerly: The Pramerica Life Insurance Co., Inc.)
19. Philam Equitable Life Assurance Company, Inc.
20. Philippine AXA Life Insurance Corporation
21. Philippine Prudential Life Insurance Company, Inc.
22. Philippines International Life Insurance Company, Inc.
23. Pioneer Life Inc.
24. PNB Life Insurance, Inc.
25. Pru Life Insurance Corporation of U.K.
26. Sony Life Insurance (Phils.) Corporation
27. Sun Life Grepa Financial, Inc. (Formerly: Grepalife Financial, Inc. name change November 8, 2011)
28. Sun Life of Canada (Philippines), Inc.
29. United Coconut Planters Life Assurance Corporation
30. United Life Assurance Corporation
(For the complete list of Life and Non-life Insurance Companies with Certificate of Authority for 2011-2012, you may check it out here.)

LIST OF AUTHORIZED PRE-NEED COMPANIES 2010-2011

1. Abundance Providers and Entrepreneurs Corp. (
under the business name of APEC Plans, formerly Pacific Plans, Inc.)
2. AMA Plans, Inc.
3. Ayala Plans, Inc.
4. Caritas Financial Plans, Inc.
5. CityPlans, Inc.
6. COCO Plans, Inc.
7. Danvil Plans, Inc. (formerly Berkley Int'l Plans, Inc.)
8. Destiny Financial Plans, Inc.
9. Eternal Plans, Inc.
10. First Country Plans, Inc.
11. First Union Plans, Inc.
12. Grayline Plans, Inc.
13. Himlayang Pilipino Plans, Inc.
14. Loyola Plans Consolidated, Inc.
15. Manulife Financial Plans, Inc.
16. Mercantile CarePlans, Inc.
17. Paz Memorial Services, Inc.
18. PhilPlans First, Inc. (formerly Philam Plans, Inc.)
19. Provident Internation Plans, Inc.
20. St. Peter Life Plan, Inc.
21. Sun Life Financial Plans, Inc.
22. Transnational Plans, Inc.
23. Trusteeship Plans, Inc.
(For the complete list of details of the listed Pre-Need companies, you may check them out here.)

Now, what have you noticed among the listed companies? Have you noticed that 90% of the pre-need companies have a PLAN within their name? While the insurance companies have either "life assurance" or "life insurance" within their names... That's one big indication that there is a difference between an insurance company and pre-need company. Going back to the company recently declared bankrupt, is it a pre-need company or a life insurance company? "PRUDENTIALIFE PLAN, INC. bankrupt, seeks corporate rehabilitation" .

By stating just the first part of the company name, you are actually misleading yourself. It's like omitting a family name. Instead of implying a pre-need company, just by saying PRUDENTIALIFE, you are subconsciously referring to either Philippine Prudential Life Insurance Company, Inc. / PPLIC

Or Pru-Life of U.K. as the implied Prudentialife since Pru Life of U.K. is known as Prudential outside of our country.

Other than the obvious names indicating one from the other, here are some other points that you need to know about the insurance industry and pre-need industry.
Table 1. Before 2009
After the issues experienced in 2009, the government enacted the Pre-Need Code of the Philippines, which appointed the Insurance Commission (IC) as the regulator of the pre-need industry. So, 2009 onwards we can expect more pre-need companies to be under strict regulation and inspection of the IC (and more news of pre-need companies declaring bankrupt?) I hope not, for the sake of all the planholders and for those who don't know the difference of a pre-need company from that of an insurance company.

For the issues and factors that contributed to the pre-need problems, that will be another post. But for those who would like to read ahead a Policy Brief regarding the pre-need industry prepared for the senate
 back in 2009, you can check it out here.

So, to answer the question in the title above, should you worry?

Well, you should worry if:

- you have personal investments in Prudential Life Plan, not in insurance companies; or
- you bought a pre-need plan prior to the enactment of the Pre-Need Code; or
- you feel that your pre-need company had some malpractices with respect to the company funds; or
- your company is not included in the list above. ;)

If you don't belong to any of those group, then you don't have to worry. ;)

38 Responses so far.

1. Junix Villacorta says:

Wow! I learned something new today. Thanks miss Hannah!

2. honey2723 says:

Some comments I found in pinoymoneytalk about Prudentialife Plan... you can check this link out about some updates. http://www.pinoymoneytalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=39058.15

3. Thanks for dropping by, Junix! :)

4. Anonymous says:

Nice blog here Hannah! GOod job!
    I have PRU plan but here in SG so I'm not directly affected, a bit concerned about it though.

5. EndYouJay says:

thanks han & boboy for the info. unfortunately, i should be worried :(

nuj

6. honey2723 says:

@nuj - When is the scheduled maturity of your plan? I would say that there might be some hope. Coz remember, Prudentialife Plan is not closed. They're just bankrupt. They do have some investments and assets out there but they can't just liquidate them easily and if they do, planholders will only be getting a very little amount. Let's just wait and see how Prudentialife management will work this out together with the IC's recommendation. Just hold on to your contract. I would presume that the one you got is for your kid, right? And if I remember it right, you're not yet that old to be having a kid in college... ;) So, there's still time for Prudentialife Plan to work out their investments and when the time comes for your plan to mature, then that's the time you get back to them...

Just like CAP, they underwent the same thing as Prudentialife Plan is going thru right now. And I've been reading some forums that some people have started to make some claims in their CAP plans. Don't loose hope yet nujisan... The only time I would say that all hope is gone, is when IC (Insurance Commission) would say that Prudentialife Plan is closed... Which is something I don't see happening with Insurance Commission around.

7. Anonymous says:

hi ,got a danvil plan too. i received a letter saying i still havent paid all of the plan and that i still owe them 90 thousand pesos and that my plan will be closed soon and i won't recover any of the money that i paid already .i already paid them more than 500 thousand pesos .thing is i dont want to pay them anymore. i want to close my account and get all my money back ..please help.. thanks!

8. rene says:

nice post. im working as sales consultant in philippine prudential life insurance company. this post gave me additional idea for i am still seeking more informations about the real difference of pre-need companies and life insurance companies as it is always what i want to understand by my clients especially to those who were the victims of cap and prudential life plans. its hard to establish credibility of your company and get the trust of the client for ur product when their mind is already closed for insurances because of the bad experiences they experienced from pre need companies.

9. honey2723 says:

@anonymous - where did you get your danvil plan?? Are you from Cebu? If so, I'd like to talk to you about this off the internet coz I don't want to be misinterpreted by others who get to read my post.. Just to be on the safe side..

10. honey2723 says:

@rene - how long have you been working with PPLIC?? Forgive me but I would have to say that I do have my reservations about your company. I did my own research about them by actually GOING with your fellow sales consultants. And these are what I discovered:

- PPLIC is indeed an insurance company
    - Danvil Plan, if I'm not mistaken, is a marketing arm for PPLIC.
    - The products that your company sell, is something that I PERSONALLY don't see myself getting. I know of other products that have a better return. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be getting it, but as somebody who's in the same industry and has seen products from other BIG companies, I've seen my share..
    - You guys do HARD SELLING. Something that I PERSONALLY don't do... I would say it's HARD SELLING because I had to do a walk-out scene with those who brought me there. They wouldn't let me go if I didn't end up signing the forms.. I ended up being stupid for not signing up with you guys..

Again, forgive me for having to say this but I do have my own share of your company.. I'm not saying that YOU'RE not doing good.. In fact, the idea of you doing some research on the industry and maybe about the company you're working for, says something about you.. You want to know more.. And I congratulate you for doing your own research.

11. Anonymous says:

12. seatku9 says:

hi, thanks for the post. i also have a pension plan with prudentialife and what should i do to get my investment back? i have tried to contact their email helpdesk but there has been no response. i called them last april and i was told to wait till june. now i am out of the country and it is difficult to contact them. please help me. thanks

13. What happens to the thousands of Plan holders of these Pre -Need companies that file bankruptcy?

Is there a way for them to get their money or pension, or just say sorry?
    Imagine the amount of hard-earned money that went into the thrash.

14. Anonymous says:

Very good po. Nice explanation regarding the differences between life insurance companies and pre need companies. Please take note that insurance business has no any experiences yet so far of any bankruptcy worldwide.

15. this is an old blog and being in the business just recently (october 2012) with prulife uk as a financial consultant, this blog has summarized the fundamental differences between the 2 industries! after the bankruptcy of Prudential Life Plan Inc. and CAP, the image of industry, even the insurance industry, is affected. Thanks for the info! Gian Joaquin

16. Anonymous says:

Hi,
    I have actually purchased 2 pre-need plans from Danvil during my visit to Phils many yrs ago and have been paying them. So far i have not recieved any certificates that they said they will send me since i completed paying the other plan. Now the 2nd plan all of a sudden stop sending me reciepts? Do you know what happened to Danvil plans and which insurance company takes over it- I 'd really want to get my returns back..

17. Anonymous says:

Would appreciate more info regarding the above comment on 2 danvil plans pre need. Thanks much.

18. Is it safe to invest in beneficial life insurance? My friend is telling me that im stupid.
    I would like to hear story about this because beneficial life insurance called and offered something. Then I ended up buying an investment in there company. Should I worry????? >>>>>

19. Anonymous says:

20. honey2723 says:

"Anonymous says:
    April 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    Hi,
    This is such sad story of irresponsibility on the management and the government not having enough reguations in place to protect the consumers..It makes a lot of OFW angry...We work hard to save the money so that our kids can have some money for college only for this..????"

@anonymous
    Question: Do you have a policy contract for your plan? What company name is on your policy contract? The reason I'm asking is that if PPLIC (Phil Prudential Life Insurance Co.) is the indicated issuer, then you shouldn't worry as much as this is an insurance company. However, if the issuer is Danvil Plans, I would still say that you could still sleep as PPLIC bought Danvil Plans back in 2007 (as per my reading from another blogger who has first-hand experience about Danvil, "Philippine Prudential Life Insurance Co. is the company which bought the life insurance portfolio of Berkley/Danvil in 2007. This is also the issuer of life insurance plans and endowment plans being sold by Danvil Plans." Here's a link to her site =>http://www.workingpinoy.com/2009/05/i-have-to-correct-my-mistake-prudentialife-plans-inc-is-different-from-philippine-prudential-life-insurance-co-inc/).

If you haven't received any receipts from them, do you have proof of payments to them? That would be good to use as proof if they insist that you haven't been paying them. If they still insist that they can't honor your proof of payments, then filing a complaint to the Insurance Commission would be the best next move. You can email them at pubassist@insurance.gov.ph.

21. honey2723 says:

"Anonymous says:
    June 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    Hi Ms. Hannah. Does this mean that my plan which I got 2007/08 will not be covered by the pre-need code? I am actually worried since I read the news about Danvil's court rehabilitation and I also got one from PPLIC. I will finish my contribution in Danvil early next year and I really want advise how can I just get my money back. thanks"

In my understanding, PPLIC bought Danvil. Thus they took the responsibility of having to honor the benefits and promises that Danvil initially promised you. I recently saw a blog post by somebody who has first-hand experience on Danvil and she wrote several posts about Danvil. Her post will be very useful on how to claim for your Danvil plan. http://www.workingpinoy.com/2010/08/danvil-plans-claiming-your-maturity-benefits/comment-page-1/#comment-274539 . (Just copy and paste the link to your web browser as the link won't work automatically. )

22. honey2723 says:

"rocheall anne Lim says:
    April 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    (The company behind the products sold by the people in a particularly big mall who would ask you if you have a credit card and if you do, they'd invite you to their office and won't stop talking to you not until you've decided to get a plan from them. Well, my experience with them will be another post in the future. :) )"

@rocheall anne lim - I haven't seen any products or investment plans under Beneficial Life Plan, so I can't really say anything about the plan that you bought. If you could send me a copy of the plan that you bought at admin@honeycombfc.com, then at least I can have some view of what you got into and then, maybe I can give you my professional opinion.

23. honey2723 says:

"Anonymous says:
    April 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    i wanted to get some update if PPLIC is accommodating request for refund (or cash out benefit when plans get matured) for a former plan holder from FAmily First Plans inc, which has been forwarded to Danvil and is now under Philippine Prudential Life Insurance Co (PPLIC). Please share some light. My plan maturity is still on 2016. i hope there is anything i can acquire as return of investment. thanks /ike"

I think you're in the same boat as these Danvil owners. Same recommendation as Mr/Ms Anonymous in the previous 2 comments from this. :)

24. Anonymous says:

@rocheall anne Lim & honey2723:

Beneficial Life Insurance Company Inc. is one of the most trusted, respected, strongest, and top ranking life insurance companies in the Philippines today. Its clients are ranging from private individuals to group of people either from Provincial/Municipal Local Government Units (from Batanes to Jolo), National Government Agencies (COA, DepEd, DA, DOH, PNP, AFP,DPWH, BFP, etc.), cooperatives, private companies, rural banks, and many others. This is the only insurance company who was able to establish Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with these government agencies to cater additional insurance for their employees and family members. As of 2006, among the 34 life insurance companies in the Phils., Beneficial Life Insurance Co., is the only life insurance company given the authority by the AFP and PNP through Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) to solicit life insurance to military personnel and policemen. This company is now on its 53rd years in insurance business and service. The company Chairman is Mr. Jaime C. Fernandez, the son of the former Central Bank Governor, Jose B. Fernandez, Jr.

25. kimberlyjoy says:

Philippine Prudential Life failed once but not the second time around.

26. angel says:

PPLIC is not bankrupt anymore. they are already become more accessible and has a trustworthy services not like before.

27. Anonymous says:

I need an advise or help from any concerned. I need to get back my money from PPLIC which took over my protector plan from Danvil Plans and I bought the insurance from FFI. I came from their office yesterday in megamall to check the status as I'll finish the payment on August this year. I'm shocked and very downed when the reception told me that my policy was terminated by them. She is telling that because the policy is a group life insurance and most of the member backed out so they terminated the policy and we can't get back the money we paid. I never used or claimed for this policy because they told me from the start that if I will not touched for 10 years, I will get back the whole contributed amount. I never knew and told that this policy is a group life insurance and never signed a paper with a condition that they will terminate the policy if one member will backed out because I'm informed then who will gonna sign a policy like this. Thanks so much in advance.

28. Anonymous says:

as of MARCH 7 2013 PPLIC was terminated all their planholder from DANVIL and im one of them whose contract was almost finish and its so sad wala akong makuha kahit piso I file already a complain at INSURANCE COMMISSION and waiting their go signal para mapagusapan with PPLIC representative. kaya all planholder magsadya sa INSURANCE COMMISSION ASAP po........

29. tony says:

with the same problem regarding the termination of contract from PPLIC I INVITE EVERYONE TO File a complain to the OFFICE OF INSURANCE COM. ....I'VE FILE already.within this week malaman naming kung kalian ang paguusap with INSURANCE COM. officer,,,, PPLIC representative,,, and ALL PLANHOLDER who just file their complain.....

30. Anonymous says:

Nakita nyo na eto?

31. Anonymous says:

eto pala... http://www.pesorepublic.com/db/banking-and-insurance/bakit-ba-nalugi-ang-prudentialife-plans/

32. Anonymous says:

tony:

any update? nagsend na dinaki via email sa insurance com. I am also one of the victim.

kesyo they are offering "gesture's of goodwill", ilang percent lang ng certain years ng payment mo.. ikaw itong naghirap sa pera, tapos, pahirapan ka pa sa pag claim.

please update me,

thank you.

worried planholder

33. x3m_901 says:

Hi! I've got a Danvil plan too and compelted paying on Sept 2012, after 5 years! On January 17, 2013 I received my Certificate of Full Payment and entitled to a maturity benefit due on Sep 1, 2022. Do i need to worry with what had happened to PPLIC? Please advise if there is any action that i have to make now as I am an OFW and based in the Middle East. :(

34. Anonymous says:

Where can I file my claim for my Prudential Life Plan ?

35. Anonymous says:

I have proof of payment ( PLP receipts, payments through authorized credit card withdrawals ) although I don't have my Certificate of Full payment for my Prudential Life Plan, I I presume it is enough to get reimbursed ??

36. I Want to Join LIC as a agent. how to join lic as agent, you can just require 12th pass and 18 years completed. Any Query call us- 7428189423 or visit our website http://www.licagentdelhi.net

37. Find new way if you Want to Become LIC Agent in Delhi. We offer new opportunities for anyone Want to know how to apply for lic agent in delhi call us:9953122754 for more detail visit our website http://www.becomelicagentdelhi.in

38. Anonymous says:

Do u want to work at home? Are you looking for data encoding online? Good news. May alam akong Company na pwede niong salihan at pagkakitaan khit nsa bahay ka lang. Weekly ang payout ng Sahod. P 2,100 ang weekly potential Income. It's up to you kung gagawin mo tong Part-time or Full time. Kahit sino pwede basta nsa Legal Age, mapa - tambay k man, Student, Working employees, Mommies@home basta alam mo gumamit ng Microsoft Excel Application at masipag ka.

Requirements:
    1. Must be a legitimate Filipino Citizen and is currently residing in the Philippines.
    2. Age 18 to 45 years old
    3. College/High School level or Graduate.
    4. Basic knowledge on internet and MICROSOFT EXCEL is a must!
    5. Accessibility on internet at home is an advantage.
    6. Must be residing on a place where (PALAWAN EXPRESS PERA PADALA and LBC money transfer services are available. FOR INCOME TRANSACTIONS.
    7. P350 Registration fee.The fee is intended to sustain the resources,task and projects of the company

COMPANY NAME: Splunkeez Information Technology
    HRD Main - Asis-Mag Roxas City Capiz, Philippines 5800
    LICENSED AND REGISTERED UNDER DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY, BUSINESS LICENSING, PHILIPPINES

For more details, just visit http://www.unemployedpinoys.com.